adj. called so by oneself; would-be; pretended (a self-styled artist).
* * *adjectiveas claimed by and for yourself often without justification-
the self-styled `doctor' has no degree of any kind• Syn: ↑soi-disant• Similar to: ↑questionable
* * *adjself-appointed, self-titled, professed, so-called, soi-disant, would-be, pretended
* * *▶ adjective WOULD-BE, so-called, self-appointed, self-titled, professed, self-confessed, soi-disant.
* * *\\ˈ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷\ adjective: given a specified designation or title by oneself : soi-disant
the self-styled champion
* * */self"stuyld"/, adj.styled, called, or considered by oneself as specified: a self-styled leader.[1815-25]
* * *self-styledˈ adjective1. Called by oneself2. Pretended• • •Main Entry: ↑self-
* * *self-styled UK US adjectiveused for saying what type of person someone claims to be
a self-styled computer expert
* * *self-styled «SEHLF STYLD», adjective.so called by oneself: »
a self-styled leader whom no one follows, the self-styled party of progress.
* * *adj. [attrib.] using a description or title that one has given oneself
self-styled experts | the self-styled president of Bougainville
* * */ˌsɛlfˈstajəld/ adj, always used before a noun: called a particular thing by yourself : ↑self-proclaimed
* * *using a name or title that you have given yourself, especially when you do not have the right to do it
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
self-styled — [self′stīld′] adj. considered and called (something specified) only by the individual himself or herself; alleged (to be such) only by the person concerned; pretended; professed [a self styled expert] … English World dictionary
self-styled — /self stuyld /, adj. styled, called, or considered by oneself as specified: a self styled leader. [1815 25] * * * … Universalium
self-styled — adj [only before noun] having given yourself a title or position without having a right to it used to show disapproval ▪ a self styled poet … Dictionary of contemporary English
self-styled — adjective used for saying what type of person someone claims to be: a self styled computer expert … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
self-styled — self′ styled′ adj. called or considered by oneself as specified: a self styled leader[/ex] • Etymology: 1815–25 … From formal English to slang
self-styled — ► ADJECTIVE ▪ using a description or title that one has given oneself: self styled experts … English terms dictionary
self-styled — ADJ: ADJ n (disapproval) If you describe someone as a self styled leader or expert, you disapprove of them because they claim to be a leader or expert but they do not actually have the right to call themselves this. Two of these arrested are said … English dictionary
self-styled — adjective a self styled poet Syn: would be, so called, self appointed, self titled, professed, self confessed, soi disant … Thesaurus of popular words
self-styled — adjective Date: 1822 self proclaimed < self styled experts > … New Collegiate Dictionary
self-styled — /ˈsɛlf staɪld/ (say self stuyld) adjective (of a title or characterisation) applied to oneself, especially undeservedly: *self styled leader George Speight who is currently being held on an island off Suva by the military. –aap news, 2000 … Australian English dictionary